E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

JB4 tune fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all,

here's my situation, i was originally looking to get a 528i as a daily driver and had not considered a 535i bc of the fuel pump issues, need for premium gas, and slightly lower gas mileage. now before you guys jump on me about using premium vs regular gas, i drive ~35k to 40k a year and with price difference of about 30 cents a gallon and still headed north, it'll save me a few bucks over the years.

so i came across a post on 5series.net that mentioned a 535 with a jb4 was hitting mid 30's mpg. now i'm reconsidering bc although i have a second toy for the weekend i wouldn't mind having a daily with more power on tap with a higher mpg than the 528. for those of you with jb4, what are your experiences with mpg? anyone run the turbo off setting for a lengthy period of time?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

My 535 with the jb4 gets 24 around town and 28 on the hwy
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I'm not 100% certain - but I think BMW recommends 91 octane gas for ALL their cars.

Also, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but if you are worried about gasoline costs based on 30k - 40k annual miles then the anticipated maintenance costs will probably be too much for you. Your annual mileage would suggest at least one set of tires, brake pads and most likely rotors, and 2-3 oil changes per year. And we haven't touched on repairs/aftermarket warranties.

Maybe you should look at something less expensive for this kind of use or at least consider a Diesel or Hybrid.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Members

I drive a lot as well. Not as much as that guy, but I understand his concerns. There's fuel mileage and equipment/maintenance costs but there's also comfort and driving something you enjoy. I didn't buy my 535xi because it was good on gas, but because it gets decent fuel mileage and it's comfortable, quiet, powerful, and just a touch sporty. But if it got 16-17 mpg, I wouldn't buy one.

I also want to know what people are getting, mpg wise, with the jb4.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I'm interested to know more about the benefits of the JB4 tune as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by wtlb
I'm interested to know more about the benefits of the JB4 tune as well.
Power, bad ass power...!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dploy
I live in a suburb and drive at least ten miles highway at 70mph to get anywhere...I too would buy the JB4 for the mileage benefits & not the power (I think the car has plenty of power already). According to the trip computer I get 24 mpg.

I have a hard time believing the JB4 would get me 28mpg...what do they know that millions of $$ in research and dev BMW engineers don't know already? I can't believe BMW would leave a better mpg off the table cause of some engine mapping. Seems unlikely...just sayin. Power? Yes I can believe the mapping would increase power but not mileage.

PLEASE prove me wrong!
I don't want to say you get better mileage with the JB4, but from my personal experience I didn't lose any. I drive 25 miles to work each way rual and interstate. My car during this time reads 24.7-25. When I go out of town and reset the system, and 90% is interstate its says 28-29 and then slowly returns to the 24 range when I return. The power increase is really nice.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

here's some info about map 8 from the e9x folks. I can't wait to get my jb4 in and try it out. I already get 28-29 mpg now on the thruway a few more would be nice.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
which map do you run? how often do you run map 8?

Originally Posted by pukka
I'm not 100% certain - but I think BMW recommends 91 octane gas for ALL their cars.

Also, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but if you are worried about gasoline costs based on 30k - 40k annual miles then the anticipated maintenance costs will probably be too much for you. Your annual mileage would suggest at least one set of tires, brake pads and most likely rotors, and 2-3 oil changes per year. And we haven't touched on repairs/aftermarket warranties.

Maybe you should look at something less expensive for this kind of use or at least consider a Diesel or Hybrid.
i understand what you're getting at and i went to test drive a prius and seriously considered it for awhile. but thankfully i came to my senses and realized i don't want to waste the next few years of my life living in one i did the whole hypermiling, econobox thing the last several years and i decided it's time to live a little...with some practicality mixed in. i've considered other hybrids and non-hybrids as well and as someone mentioned there are other factors that make the 535 a great choice for an all arounder. the reason i ask specifically about the jb4 535 is bc i would only use premium gas for FI or high compression ratio motor such as the 535 and want to know how it compares to the 528's fuel efficiency which CAN run on regular fuel w/o issues.

Originally Posted by e60oholic
here's some info about map 8 from the e9x folks. I can't wait to get my jb4 in and try it out. I already get 28-29 mpg now on the thruway a few more would be nice.
link???
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
28 hwy wtf I get like 21 hwy lol, something must be wrong with my car!

Quick Reply: JB4 tune fuel economy