E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel suddenly feels tight heavy stiff

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

So, today my wife was driving the car and said that the steering wheel felt stiffer than normal. I just dismissed the comment but as she drove she complained more and more. So in the car park I decided to check this for myself. Firstly I wanted to confirm that the Power Steering pump was kicking in, and it is. But then sure enough I too felt the steering wheel a lot stiffer than it was the last time the car was driven.

What should I look for to check before the car goes into the dealers?

She also mentioned that the car seemed a lot more sluggish off the mark. But I think that has nothing to do with the steering issues. Or at the two linked in any way?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front tires pressure would be the first thing I check

On serious note, I've never have this kind of problem with my E60 so far but with my other car. I did and it turned out to be a leakage with the power steering. I think the leak caused loss of pressure or something like that. It was too long ago and back then I didn't really care much about taking care of my own car. Just bring it to the shop whenever there was a problem.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I've already checked tyre pressure and its fine. Another thing, my wife mentioned that the steering felt fine sometime and but then not again.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

have you checked the fluid? the car won't warn you when it's low. odd that it complains about washer fluid but not power steering!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by 545felix
have you checked the fluid? the car won't warn you when it's low. odd that it complains about washer fluid but not power steering!
+1

Also, at one point I had to get my steering column lubed by the dealer as it was a little jittery and made a weird noise.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix
Where and what should I be looking for?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Members

Bruce, look for a container like the one pictured, should be roughly in the same area of the engine bay. When you take out the cap, it will have an extension that has two indentations like a dipstick: "medium" and "full." They are not marked but you can tell which one is which. If you don't see any fluid on the extension, it is low.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel suddenly feels tight heavy stiff-img_1207-large-.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by ARH_0700XX
Bruce, look for a container like the one pictured, should be roughly in the same area of the engine bay. When you take out the cap, it will have an extension that has two indentations like a dipstick: "medium" and "full." They are not marked but you can tell which one is which. If you don't see any fluid on the extension, it is low.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

I'm sorry but the great Bruce Miranda, the man who made the Bruce's cables for the LCI tail light among other things does not know where the power steering fluid reservoir is...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I'm sorry but the great Bruce Miranda, the man who made the Bruce's cables for the LCI tail light among other things does not know where the power steering fluid reservoir is...
Yup I don't and you'll see why if you see the inside of a Diesel 520D. It's got nothing that looks like that. I suspect the PAS cap is under the engine hood.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel suddenly feels tight heavy stiff