E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SMG and Steptronic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 525i (first BMW) and have the steptronic.

I have read a lot about SMG. When I refer to my manual, the SMG and steptronic appear to be about the same in function with the exception of the design of the shift lever.

Is there any difference in these to features?

Is one better than the other?

Sorry if these questions are a bit elementry, I have never owned a performance car like this and am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the info on these cars.

Thanks, Billysunshine
Old 09-10-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Steptronic is a regular automatic transmission. SMG is a 6-speed manual gearbox with an electro-hydraulic actuated clutch instead of a foot clutch. The part that confuses many people is that the SMG also has a programmed auto-mode that shifts by itself to mimic a Steptronic. Unless you are going to shift yourself, as I think virtually all of us here do, get the Steptronic.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Sep 10 2005, 07:43 AM
Steptronic is a regular automatic transmission. SMG is a 6-speed manual gearbox with an electro-hydraulic actuated clutch instead of a foot clutch. The part that confuses many people is that the SMG also has a programmed auto-mode that shifts by itself to mimic a Steptronic. Unless you are going to shift yourself, as I think virtually all of us here do, get the Steptronic.
[snapback]169075[/snapback]

I understand the SMG allows you this shift yourself, but so does the steptronic. I have a regular drive mode, a sport drive mode and a manual shift mode in which I can upshift and downshift all 6 gears manually..

I guess I am missing the point on the SMG.

I drove my car in the manual shift mode and loved it. My only question is, how often should I switch between these 3 modes for a correct and optimal breakin of my vehicle.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by billysunshine' date='Sep 10 2005, 08:39 AM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Sep 10 2005, 07:43 AM']Steptronic is a regular automatic transmission. SMG is a 6-speed manual gearbox with an electro-hydraulic actuated clutch instead of a foot clutch. The part that confuses many people is that the SMG also has a programmed auto-mode that shifts by itself to mimic a Steptronic. Unless you are going to shift yourself, as I think virtually all of us here do, get the Steptronic.
[snapback]169075[/snapback]

I understand the SMG allows you this shift yourself, but so does the steptronic. I have a regular drive mode, a sport drive mode and a manual shift mode in which I can upshift and downshift all 6 gears manually..

I guess I am missing the point on the SMG.

I drove my car in the manual shift mode and loved it. My only question is, how often should I switch between these 3 modes for a correct and optimal breakin of my vehicle.
[snapback]169077[/snapback]
[/quote]
The SMG shifts a little bit quicker than the steptronic in sport mode and it has the paddels on the steering wheel so you won't have to take you hands of the wheel.

what 3 modes?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Members

I have a regular drive mode (D), a sport drive mode (put in drive then push lever to left once) and a manual shift mode ( while in sport mode, push lever up or down to engage manual shifting capability.

Please understand, I have only had my car for over a week. I have never been exposed to a BMW like this before. Reading the topics and threads on this site has enlightened me as well as confused me a bit.

Is there anybody in the Tampa/Clearwater area of Florida that would be up for a meet and greeet and give me a little training on my car?

I am just trying to fit in here and learn the full capabilities of my car.

Thanks for any info.

Billysunshine
Old 09-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Once you figure out the differences between the following two links, I think you'll be able to understand why shifting a steptronic manually isn't the same as shifting an SMG manually:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm
Old 09-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by billysunshine' date='Sep 10 2005, 08:54 AM
I have a regular drive mode (D), a sport drive mode (put in drive then push lever to left once) and a manual shift mode ( while in sport mode, push lever up or down to engage manual shifting capability.

Please understand, I have only had my car for over a week.? I have never been exposed to a BMW? like this before.? Reading the topics and threads on this site has enlightened me as well as confused me a bit.

Is there anybody in the Tampa/Clearwater area of Florida that would be up for a meet and greeet and give me a little training on my car?

I am just trying to fit in here and learn the full capabilities of my car.

Thanks for any info.

Billysunshine
[snapback]169080[/snapback]
I don't think there is a difference between the Sport mode (DS) and sport mode (manual shifting). It's only a difference in at what rpm does the car change the gear! For eg. if you floor it in DS mode the car will change gear near the redline, but you can intervene to change the gears at a desired rpm level. The actual shifts are the same. So the "big" difference is between D and DS although i don't see too much of a fuss bt the 2 of them. In D mode the gearbox chooses between E and XE (that's economical mappin and Xtra economical maps) (maps refered to shift points and speed); while in DS it has S and XS (sport and Xtra sport again with a choice of 2 maps). The choice is done automaticly dependent of oyur driving style.

Here is a pdf that may enlighten you.
Attached Files
Old 09-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

And here's the corresponding .pdf for the SMG:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=1623
Old 09-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Members

Thanks for all the links and info. I am getting the picture. Now I am wishing I had SMG. Oh Well.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by billysunshine' date='Sep 10 2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the links and info.? I am getting the picture.? Now I am wishing I had SMG.? Oh Well.
[snapback]169096[/snapback]
Don't be so quick to wish you had SMG. It definitely is a great transmission if you want to shift it yourself, but the automatic mode leaves a lot to be desired since it is difficult to get a smooth shift in the lower gears. I think someone on this board said that if you prefer a manual over automatic then consider SMG, otherwise, get the Steptronic. The SMG is not a substitute for automatic.

Quick Reply: SMG and Steptronic.