E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a high mileage 2004 525i and I was told by a BMW dealer that the oil filter housing gasket has a "moderate" leak (oil building up around it, but not a ton of it). The part to fix this (the oil filter housing gasket) is less than $5 and the dealer wants over $550 (plus tax) for the labor (many components need to be removed to get to it, apparently). I went to my local non BMW mechanic and he quoted me around $200 - $220 for the work, and said that it's best to do an oil change at the same time (or add a quart of oil when it's done). I just completed an oil change at the BMW dealer.

Has anyone here had an issue with a leaking oil filter housing gasket? My mechanic told me it's not urgent to fix this, so I'm wondering if I can wait one year until my next oil change before getting it done (the car doesn't drive much, maybe 6,000 miles per year max). What do you guys think could be the ramifications if I do not get this done right away? The check engine light is not on and I am not getting any messages in iDrive.

Thank you
Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

BMW charge $50 deductible if under warranty
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Members

From my experience as a customer / owner but not mechanic:

I have an 04 545i and I've had numerous oil issues. pans gaskets seals upper lowers you name it.

It good to get ahead of any of these oil issues. If the oil continues to leak it will get to other seals and degrade them as we'll.
You stated above that its contained but it seems like on my Beemer oil spreads like a virus.

For fixing I've worked to find a good shop with a labor rate around 95 an hour. Others have smaller shops in the low 60s. BMW dealership is usually 180 or so.
Labor rate is about all you can control if you decide not to do it yourself.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

m54 engine?
sounds like all you need to do is use a 36mm socket, take the cap off...
replace the o ring/gasket after lubricating it with oil and screw the cap back on. done in 2 minutes..
if you go buy a oil filter the large oring seal comes with the filter. if it one of the two smaller ones on the bottom you might have to get those at bmw?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Bill109
m54 engine?
sounds like all you need to do is use a 36mm socket, take the cap off...
replace the o ring/gasket after lubricating it with oil and screw the cap back on. done in 2 minutes..
if you go buy a oil filter the large oring seal comes with the filter. if it one of the two smaller ones on the bottom you might have to get those at bmw?
I'm thinking he means gasket #6 in this picture:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6...em_oil_filter/

IMO, this is a DIY if you are handy at all. There are probably some DIY to be found for this job. In any case, $550 seems high.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by DavaiLave
Hi,

I have a high mileage 2004 525i and I was told by a BMW dealer that the oil filter housing gasket has a "moderate" leak (oil building up around it, but not a ton of it). The part to fix this (the oil filter housing gasket) is less than $5 and the dealer wants over $550 (plus tax) for the labor (many components need to be removed to get to it, apparently). I went to my local non BMW mechanic and he quoted me around $200 - $220 for the work, and said that it's best to do an oil change at the same time (or add a quart of oil when it's done). I just completed an oil change at the BMW dealer.

Has anyone here had an issue with a leaking oil filter housing gasket? My mechanic told me it's not urgent to fix this, so I'm wondering if I can wait one year until my next oil change before getting it done (the car doesn't drive much, maybe 6,000 miles per year max). What do you guys think could be the ramifications if I do not get this done right away? The check engine light is not on and I am not getting any messages in iDrive.

Thank you
My '04 525i with 136K's had oil filter housing leak. Fixed it myself and gasket cost from BMW $tealer costed $18.45. This is a DIY if you are handy.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

Hi,

... 2004 525i ... oil filter housing gasket has a "moderate" leak ... dealer wants over $550 (plus tax) for the labor ... my local non BMW mechanic and he quoted me around $200 - $220 for the work...

Has anyone here had an issue with a leaking oil filter housing gasket?
Your M54B25 is the same engine that's in my 325. I've done the job, replacing the $8 gasket. It's not particularly hard but $200 isn't a bad price. The alternator has to be removed; the power steering pump must be disconnected. Both of those are attached to the Oil Filter Housing assembly.

If you do-it-yourself you will need 4 aluminum washers to replace on the VANOS oil supply line, which are not expensive--around $5.

While a mechanic is in there you might want to replace these things:
1) CrankCase Ventilation (CCV) valve and the 5 related hoses. $175, or so, in parts.
2) VANOS supply line hose, which sometimes starts to ooze at the metal-rubber interface. about $30
3) Inspect the air tube that connects to your throttle body. It's a $15 part but sometimes splits and gives rough idle and codes and sucks in unfiltered air, a bad thing.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)-dsc04960-resized.jpg   Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)-dsc04965-oil-filter-housing-mating-points.jpg   Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)-dsc04973.jpg   Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)-dsc04989-vanos-supply-hose.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi (N52 6-cylinder engine)2002 325xi (M54 6-cylinder engine)2008 Specialized Roubaix road bike

...I'm wondering if I can wait one year until my next oil change before getting it done (the car doesn't drive much, maybe 6,000 miles per year max). What do you guys think could be the ramifications if I do not get this done right away? The check engine light is not on and I am not getting any messages in iDrive.

Thank you
You can definitely ignore this until your next oil change. You'll just have a little more oil to clean up. Check you oil level now and again but in my experience the leak is very slow.

How many miles? This normally happens after 100k.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

I just do my car fixed and it cost me $495 include the Tax in BMW mechanic shop.(not the dealer) it was large leak.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Members

Quick update on this, over year after the BMW dealer identified this issue I haven't had any further issues. I never got it addressed, and recently had my car back at the dealer and during the general inspection they made no mention of it this time.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)