Go Back   5Series.net - Forums > E60 5 Series (2004 - 2010) > E60 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Members

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires cracking that are only 18 months old. Warranty as described by Tire Rack says Michelin is not responsible for cracking due to age. I replied this is a manufacturer's defect in material and I did not pay for top tier tires to have them crack. They said to send picutres with mileage and tread remaining to see if a good will jesture will be made. What tire should I buy now? I did like the performance with the Michelins but not thrilled by the cracks that can fit a business card and puts me and my family at risk. I am going to inform the department of transportation since they did recall tires for this issue in the past. I only noticed it because a friend of mine had the same problem so I decided to look.
CaptH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
KAF
Contributors

What is the date of manufacture?

http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-eve...ymbol-mystery/

If they are too old they should not have been sold in the first place.

1st reg. 2005 (born 27/4/2004) 530D Tourer, auto, Titanuim Silver, Black Dakota Leather, DMS to 260bhp & 413 lb/ft, Bluetooth Phone, Advanced aircon, auto dim mirrors, folding ext mirrors. 6CD Changer, Progman 25, Winter set up Conti-wintercontact 810 225/50/17 on 138 rims, Summer Pirelli P Zero Rosso's 245/45/17 on 122 rims. Osram Silverstar halogen upgrades. E60.net Clings.
KAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAF View Post
What is the date of manufacture?

http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-eve...ymbol-mystery/

If they are too old they should not have been sold in the first place.
I checked the age when I purchased them. They had a manufacturer's date which made them 3 months old when I bought them.
CaptH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Members

Must be something with their all season compound. I have experienced cracks on the original and replacement sets of Michelin Cross Terrains on my MDX, but I don't recall being able to slide a business card into them.
E60 2007 550i : Titanium Silver, M-Tech Rear, M-Tech Side Skirts, M5 Trunk Spoiler, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade, RPi GT Axle Back Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, 3M Clear Bra, 50% 3M Window Film, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.
Bdaddylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Members

Had a cracking and wear issue on one of the front A/S. It was on the both edges were the tread met the side wall. This tire was older (about a year) than the other 3 which were on the car when I purchased it. I called michelin and complained. They sent me to a local dealer who gave me a $60 credit towards a new tire. The tire had 9/10 tread remaining. It was obviously a manufacturing defect.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Members

I'm on my second set now on my 08 550i sport, no cracking issues on either set that I can see. I drive 25K per year but got
33K on the rears and 42K on the fronts , so I Change them out every 15 months. Sorry to hear your problem
2008550idavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:54 PM