Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Members

http://www.ehow.com/how_7649980_regi...w-battery.html

Amazing.

Is it true?
1997 528i (will be gone soon)

I'm convinced my e60 trunk lid secretly wants to decapitate me.

black550_m5sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Members

I'd go back to the stealer for battery replacement just for peace of mind.
Usually a battery would last 3+ years, so I think the higher cost for changing battery is being washed over the time.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Members

I've also heard that if you replace the battery yourself you need to get it programmed so the ecu knows the battery has been replaced. Otherwise it will continue to use the battery as if it was the old battery and the life will be shortened. I had an increased battery discharge message on my car a month ago and took it in for service and the dealer refused to replace it under warranty saying they ran tests and the vehicle was not being driven enough. I waited about a month and took it to another dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty no questions asked. The first dealer wanted to charge me $400+ for a new battery so I feel your pain it is pricey, I guess I got lucky.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Contributors

Send a message via ICQ to EBMCS03 Send a message via AIM to EBMCS03 Send a message via MSN to EBMCS03 Send a message via Yahoo to EBMCS03

yes that article is true...
For Sale: 2008 ///M5 SMG | Alpine White | Black Full Merino Leather w/Aluminum Trim | Logic 7 | iPod Adapter | HUD | Heated / Ventilated & Adaptive Comfort Seats | Comfort Access | Rear Side Airbags | Rear Side Sunshades | Folding Rear Seats | 35% Sides 15% Rear Windshield Tint

For Sale: 2007 Porsche 987 Cayman S | Midnight Blue | Space Gray | 6spd Manual | Preferred Package | Bose Sound System | X-Pel Clear Bra | Suntek Carbon Tint
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Members

Borrow tools? You guys must have nice dealerships! lol Try to act surprised when they hammer-home the infamous $100/hr+ labor rate, they like that

Anyway, battery replacement is DIY'able, you can find links to the guides & software in search

2008 550i :: Carbon Black Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather with Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim, Shadowline Trim, Comfort Access, M Sport package with Sport alternate suspension, Roll-stab control, Sport steering wheel, Spacesaver steel-rim internal spare wheel, Aerodynamic package, Multi-Contour Seats, Fold-down rear seats, Rear seat center armrest with ski bag, iPod/USB adapter... Summer/Winter Setups incl. custom matte black 19" style 172M's (staggered 245/35r19(F), 275/30r19 on ContiSportContact 2's) & 17" style 138's (on 225/50r17 WinterSport M3's)

[sub]the day things got entirely too epic[/sub][sub].[/sub]
ron_cb550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Contributors

I would *love* to see some actual evidence that a non dealer-supplied and "registered" battery doesn't operate perfectly well.

I have always suspected that the "registration" requirement is entirely bogus - essentially nothing more than a facilitation enabling dealers to charge twice the replacement cost of a perfectly serviceable non-OEM replacement.

Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible
Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe
BMW 550i: Monaco Blue over Beige, Nav, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package, Power Blinds, Split/Fold Rear Seats, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3/Style 124 wheels, Euro Reflectors
BMW 545i: Silver Gray, NAV, premium audio, active steering, HUD, comfort seats, cold weather package, rear air bags, rear blind, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3/Style 124 wheels, Euro reflectors
swajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Senior Members

Battery replacement/registration has been covered so many times with (as usual)different opinions on the pros and cons.
Last winter,due to my car being garaged for over a month,I decided to charge the battery because of the Low Battery warning and I followed the BMW procedure,i.e.via the jump start terminals in the engine bay.I then thought,what if I had disconnected the negative cable on the battery and charged via the battery terminals and then reconnected the negative? Would the computer system think that the battery had been replaced rather than just recharged?Think about it!
In my view,for a DIY job,provided that you replace your battery with an identical specification unit,there should be no problems with charging and battery life.
tooltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Contributors

Send a message via MSN to BLooD

Battery registration is not a myth, The functions are there in both progman / ISTA/p and DIS, The DDE / DME modules keep a log of all the battery changes done on the car plus it controls how the alternator sends charge to the battery, also the Car Access module needs to know the battery has been changed, in pre sept/2005 E60`s the Micro Power Module would also have needed to know the battery had been changed.

This subject comes up time and time again, lets put it to rest please. If you change your battery for one of the same then maybe it will be ok but a battery of lower or higher charge or an AGM battery would need to be registered.
2006 BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Carbon black/ Grey leather, Individual head-liner anthracite, Media pack, Visibility pack, DAB digital radio, Front isofix, High beam assist, M rear spoiler, M135 18 inch wheels.
Retrofits:- Front and rear HI-FI tweeters. Auto dim/ folding mirrors with puddle lights, High gloss shadow line, Remote folding and Kerb-function. Footwell lights, Door ambient leds. Poplar wood light trim. Poplar wood selector lever. Poplar wood hand brake lever. BMW online. LCI-CCC. LCI Teleservices. LCI-controller (no haptic feedback). AC-Advanced.

Mods:- Smoked amber LED side repeaters, LED interior lights, LED angel eyes. OEM Black kidney grills. Avon ZZ3 non run-flat tyres.
Extra Boot lid light DIY AC Basic to AC High DIY. SA430 EXT: mirrors dimming/folding DIY 2003 BMW 530 d SE. Silver Grey R.I.P.

Stuff for sale!
BLooD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Contributors

The question really should be is there any negative impact in not registering the battery or buying a battery which is not 100% to spec? Will/can the car be damaged? If the new battery is not a strong as the oem. No one has yet to describe any negative/permanent affects as a result of the battery. Mine came from wal-mart for $80 with a 7 year no questions asked pro rated warranty. Beat that!

2007 530i, Alpine White, NAV, Beige Interior, Huper Optik tint, OEM Mtech kit, 19" Miro 942s, Shadowline Tape, Black Kidney Grills, and H&R Sport Springs.
lightfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfytr View Post
The question really should be is there any negative impact in not registering the battery or buying a battery which is not 100% to spec? Will/can the car be damaged? If the new battery is not a strong as the oem. No one has yet to describe any negative/permanent affects as a result of the battery. Mine came from wal-mart for $80 with a 7 year no questions asked pro rated warranty. Beat that!
+1

I had the same concerns last week. Please see the thread I posted "anyone driving with unregistred battery"
krzyschicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 AM