E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 530i 110k Miles transmission slipping

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aa

Last edited by jenhaoyen; 12-15-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Did you try reseting your transmission by holding down the accelerator for 25 seconds before you start the car ?

I had a like problem in my Lexus and the dealer did some kind of a software update to fix it, My 530 never had an issue like this and has not got to the mileage you have aswell
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jenhaoyen
So after my engine over heat, changing the headgasket now the transmission has problems.

It's more of a up shift problem. It feels like it wasn't to change the gear from 4-5 or 5-6 but it's hesitating and couldn't change it.
Sometimes it just slips and the car is revving without having gear in place. The transmission malfunction lights comes up, but it would go away after I restart the car. I took it to the shop, the autoshop (who fixed my engine problem) said they look at the transmission and it was fine. So they only thing they did was to change the transmission fluid. It was good for a day or two, and the problem came back again. It's shifting late, I can almost feel like a pause between each shift.

Anybody experienced with this problem?
I did have this situation befall me in my prior 7 series ... and in two cases a replacement BMW re-manufactured transmission was the cure. I hope this isn't what you have to go through. You could try to leverage BMWNA about financial participation ... it's not expected that a major component should fail prematurely.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

if you got a ZF auto trans to last 110k you're lucky. the one in wife's a8 went out at 80k, had it rebuilt and now at 130k its already starting to show the same symptoms that lead to the previous failure......hence my 545 is a 6mt, otherwise i would not have bought it.

So after my engine over heat, changing the headgasket now the transmission has problems.

It's more of a up shift problem. It feels like it wasn't to change the gear from 4-5 or 5-6 but it's hesitating and couldn't change it.
Sometimes it just slips and the car is revving without having gear in place. The transmission malfunction lights comes up, but it would go away after I restart the car. I took it to the shop, the autoshop (who fixed my engine problem) said they look at the transmission and it was fine. So they only thing they did was to change the transmission fluid. It was good for a day or two, and the problem came back again. It's shifting late, I can almost feel like a pause between each shift.

Anybody experienced with this problem?
Old 10-17-2010, 05:24 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

JEN! WHAT YEAR IS YOUR 530. Would a tranny additive work? might want to drop the panand check the internal fasteners for all properly torqued and yes. Did you think about your tranny filter? Dan
Old 10-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by DTD
JEN! WHAT YEAR IS YOUR 530. Would a tranny additive work? might want to drop the panand check the internal fasteners for all properly torqued and yes. Did you think about your tranny filter? Dan
yeah, its possible its a valve body issue...maybe a loose fastener on valve body, a seal gone bad, crud in the valve body, sensor gone wacko, etc
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

valve body? hmmmm is it costly. I'm considering just driving for another year of this car...
if you're paying someone to look at it, yes.

when you had the fluid changed, was the pan and filter removed/replaced? did your mechanic check fluid level while car was running?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

well, you bought a first model year car, with a lot of miles. they do have more problems than normal.

have you taken the car to a bmw dealer for the transmission problem?
the problem may be as simple as reprogramming the computer.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

i kind of want to drive Toyota again. I never had any problem with my Toyota cars. Consider all of them were passed 150k miles mark. BMW had problem since week 1.

I mean, What the fuck are they thinking? I just don'tget it. Bmw has overheating problems, transmission problems, electrical problems. I mean if you are selling a high end car, might as well make it worth the money right? I don't have the time to go to the shop every two weeks.
I'm starting to think BMW is the worst car ever.
Toyota - and spend your time in shop for recalls or worse death (faulty brake recall, sticky pedal, computer malfunction, leaking master cylinder, steering linkage malfunction, rotting frames. Other than all those injuries and deaths, they are great cars.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

How many miles when you bought the car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E60 530i 110k Miles transmission slipping