E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW totaled from water getting in engine - no water in interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 535xi. I went through some deep water on the road over the weekend. I didn't think it was that bad when I started to go in it but the water came up to the bottom of the car - no water actually got in the interior of the car but I stalled and had to pull over (i did get out of the water) and the car was towed
I have now been told that water got in the engine and I need a new engine and other things which will cost 25-30,000 to fix. I have insurance of course and they may even total the car but this is still pretty upsetting.
This is my first BMW which I loved but I have been through water as deep as this with other, lesser cars, that I have owned and never experienced the engine being destroyed. BMW categorically says it is not covered under warranty but my question is, is that reasonable??- that is, it it really a reasonable design for the engine that it will let water go in and destroy the engine merely from going through some deep water??? I am being told by the dealer who I am friendly with that I have no case and he may be right but I just can't believe that my beautiful car can be effectively destroyed so easily and that BMW has no responsibility. Just curious if any of you people who are knowledgeable about mechanics have an opinion on this?????
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Hate to say it, but BMW dealer is right. The water damage to your engine is not from a manufacturing defect but you driving through deep water. Admittedly, I'm no mechanic, nor am I an engineer, but a 535xi has a fairly complex engine with intercoolers, turbos, and other electronics that manage the engine. Moreover, "been through water as deep as this" is a fairly quantitative statement. And when driving through water, how fast you drive through it also determines how much water gets to the engine. I've seen cars stall and/or get water damage to the engine by driving through a large puddle with a depth of a few inches. I don't mean to offend you or disagree with you and I understand how upset you must be feeling now, but no warranty will cover engine damage such as yours.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

We've had similar situations before:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37442

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47955

Apparently, the E60 is susceptible to hydrolock.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by richk2' post='670832' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:36 PM
I have a 2008 535xi. I went through some deep water on the road over the weekend. I didn't think it was that bad when I started to go in it but the water came up to the bottom of the car - no water actually got in the interior of the car but I stalled and had to pull over (i did get out of the water) and the car was towed
I have now been told that water got in the engine and I need a new engine and other things which will cost 25-30,000 to fix. I have insurance of course and they may even total the car but this is still pretty upsetting.
This is my first BMW which I loved but I have been through water as deep as this with other, lesser cars, that I have owned and never experienced the engine being destroyed. BMW categorically says it is not covered under warranty but my question is, is that reasonable??- that is, it it really a reasonable design for the engine that it will let water go in and destroy the engine merely from going through some deep water??? I am being told by the dealer who I am friendly with that I have no case and he may be right but I just can't believe that my beautiful car can be effectively destroyed so easily and that BMW has no responsibility. Just curious if any of you people who are knowledgeable about mechanics have an opinion on this?????

PM Frank970 , he had a water issue with his new 535 but it only required some pretty serious engine work , I'm sure he could add something to this for you !

Good luck !
Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='670836' date='Sep 16 2008, 04:46 PM
Hate to say it, but BMW dealer is right. The water damage to your engine is not from a manufacturing defect but you driving through deep water. Admittedly, I'm no mechanic, nor am I an engineer, but a 535xi has a fairly complex engine with intercoolers, turbos, and other electronics that manage the engine. Moreover, "been through water as deep as this" is a fairly quantitative statement. And when driving through water, how fast you drive through it also determines how much water gets to the engine. I've seen cars stall and/or get water damage to the engine by driving through a large puddle with a depth of a few inches. I don't mean to offend you or disagree with you and I understand how upset you must be feeling now, but no warranty will cover engine damage such as yours.

I am not denying my responsibility - I feel incredbily stupid - my only defense is I have been driving an awful long time and have gone through similar water before and never had this problem and didn't even know this could happen
Old 09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by richk2' post='670856' date='Sep 16 2008, 06:23 PM
I am not denying my responsibility - I feel incredbily stupid - my only defense is I have been driving an awful long time and have gone through similar water before and never had this problem and didn't even know this could happen

Go through your insurance company
This is not a warranty issue.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

What's the limit for puddles/flooding? How many inches can the car handle?

I thought for a car that costs 60 grand, they would have some mechanism that blocks the engine intakes against water, your engine stalls, but at least it doesn't die.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Sorry to hear that.

What is interesting is my X3 manual states "Fording ability 18 inches". If I drive thru 16 inches of water and it dies, am I covered?

Obviously I'm not about to try.

It appears that BMWs do have very low mounted air intakes. Water gets sucked in thru the air filter and poof.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='670903' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that.

What is interesting is my X3 manual states "Fording ability 18 inches". If I drive thru 16 inches of water and it dies, am I covered?

Obviously I'm not about to try.

It appears that BMWs do have very low mounted air intakes. Water gets sucked in thru the air filter and poof.
I think you would have a very hard time trying to prove the depth of water you were in. Unless you have a camera and a meter stick with you that will difficult. Even if you had those things, the puddle might have a deeper spot somewhere from where you stalled and then BMW might say that the car stalled in deeper water and not where the picture was taken. They might also say you tampered with the meter stick. These things can get rather ugly, rather fast.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm sorry about your engine being ruined, and the problems you're likely to go through as you work this mess out.

I hate to sound like a Monday morning quarterback, but regardless of the car, driving through water that spans across a road is never a good idea. Sure, maybe an SUV (or X3) is capable of making it through without taking a "gulp", you still never know what lies under the water, etc.

Remember, they're cars, not boats...

Quick Reply: BMW totaled from water getting in engine - no water in interior