E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 e60 oil change DIY question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm planning on doing my first oil change to my '08 528i. From what I researched, it seems pretty straightforward. However, I still had some questions on it and hope someone here can answer them. Can I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If not, does anyone here know an off the shelf brand I can use that would meet bmw standards? Or can anyone recommend a brand? I plan on changing oil every 5k to 7k miles. How many quarts do I use? Where can I buy the filter? Do they sell them at my local Pepboys, Kragen, etc...?

Once I'm done with the refilling of the oil, I do the reset computer thing and I should be all good to go right? Or is there something else that needs to be done?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Check out the manual that is in the glove box of your car, it will indicate as to what oil and how much you should use in your car. After you've reset the service indicator....you're good to go.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Members

i stick with the dealer "BMW oil" with Mann filter. check this site, as they had an oil change package discounted recently >>> www.getbmwparts.com. i would do the oil changes every 5K to 7.5K miles though. btw, you will need the wrench to remove the filter from its reservoir [dealer or online, under 30 usd].
Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

BMW Synthenic Oil 5W-30

Mobil 1 0W-40

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

BMW Synthenic Oil 5W-30

Mobil 1 0W-40

N54 motors capacity is 7 U.S. Quarts, and i've seen the Mann filters at advance auto store.

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deltabox
So I'm planning on doing my first oil change to my '08 528i. From what I researched, it seems pretty straightforward. However, I still had some questions on it and hope someone here can answer them. Can I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If not, does anyone here know an off the shelf brand I can use that would meet bmw standards? Or can anyone recommend a brand? I plan on changing oil every 5k to 7k miles. How many quarts do I use? Where can I buy the filter? Do they sell them at my local Pepboys, Kragen, etc...?

Once I'm done with the refilling of the oil, I do the reset computer thing and I should be all good to go right? Or is there something else that needs to be done?
Should we presume your '08 is no longer covered by BMW's maintenance warranty? OR are you doing a short-mileage cycle oil change? The advice about oil grade and filter has already been provided - FOLLOW IT! Mann are a commonly used replacement filter if your local BMW parts department doesn't offer you a deep discount on "BMW-branded" parts.
If you are a 1st timer doing a BMW oil service you should familiarize yourself with the all o-rings and such used with the cartridge insert etc. My first time (a couple decades ago) found me doubling up on one of the o-rings and oil leaking everywhere
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

+1 about those O-rings.....
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
+1 about those O-rings.....
yep...good advice, forgot about that potential problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Members

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will go with Castrol, since that's what my manual suggested. The pics help alot !!

I checked the book, but it doesn't tell me how many quarts to put in. Just shows me how to check oil levels using iDrive. but i'm thinking now it's 7 quarts, because that's how many they give you at getbmwparts.com when you purchase their oil change sets.

Where can I go buy the Mann filter? Do they sell them at pepboys, kragen or similar places?

to luigi: yeah, I made mental note about the O-rings. I know the ring that goes around the filter and the copper ring that goes around the drain plug. thanks.

to bmw535xi: the tool that you speak of, are you talking about the 32mm wrench used to unscrew the filter cap? is it 32mm or 36mm? i figure the only tools I needed were a socket wrench, 17mm socket and 32mm socket.

my bimmer has 44k miles on it. the last oil done was at 36k. so the computer won't tell me to bring it in until 51k miles, just right AFTER my maintenance expires. but i wanted to change it now, before that time comes. no way i'm waiting 15k miles to change her. plus, the car has been sitting on the lot since october.

on a slightly diff topic: i'm new to bmw so i'm new to the "E" language. is my car considered an e60? just so i know i order right part for my car.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Oil Filter Cap Removal Tool

Also available from a BMW Center. Verify correct size for your engine / oil filter cap.

Quick Reply: 2008 e60 oil change DIY question.