DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

All, I could use some quick advice on how to remove the top "tray" from the center console...I don't want to break anything, but the driver's side pivot point will not come out...it appears it is screwed in from the back side (underneath the smaller console lid piece that slides near the hand brake. Anyone have a clue how that is removed? Additionally, I noticed there is a small (screw sized) access cover underneath the sliding side console top with a red circle sticker on it...what happens if you remove that screw? Finally, how does the (smaller) rear piece of the center console lid come off? I was assuming it would "pop out" but it seems very stubborn and I don't want to break anything....

TIA
Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This is a pretty common request but I seem to remember that it's pretty involved to remove it. I didn't re-read all the following posts but here's what I came up with after a quick search:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3809
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19533
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=46855
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42071
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='501916' date='Dec 2 2007, 03:06 PM
This is a pretty common request but I seem to remember that it's pretty involved to remove it. I didn't re-read all the following posts but here's what I came up with after a quick search:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3809
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19533
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=46855
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42071

Rudy, you are the man!! Thank you
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530xi, Navigation, HUD, Premium Pack, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, Satellite, Logic7, Rear Side Airbags, PDC

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='501917' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:07 PM
Rudy, you are the man!! Thank you
Hotlap, are you going to try doing it yourself? Let us know how it works out - I don't have the guts to disassemble the center console just yet...

scooterdog
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Guys,

The only way to get the top tray out without destruction is indeed taking the centre console off.
It is a pretty straightforward job - the worst bit is levering the rear console trim off.
In the BMW TIS, they mention a special tool. A wide bladed screwdriver is just as effective!
Budget 1 to 1.5 hours to do the job. Complete removal of the console is unnecessary, as you can get underneath to remove the tray with the console still flapping around in the car.

Mike
Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Contributors

After printing/reading the links provided by Rudy, I decided since I wasn't planning on reinstalling the upper tray, I'd save effort and just cut the screw on the driver's side pivot. Came out cleanly and took all of 5 minutes! Much nicer storage area now...still not the largest, but at least is is usable and I don't have to wrestle with that silly top tray everytime I want to access the lower level!! BMW needs to rethink that set-up and make it a snap in/snap out affair!

Thanks to all who responded as I appreciate your help
Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530xi, Navigation, HUD, Premium Pack, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, Satellite, Logic7, Rear Side Airbags, PDC

HotLap, can you post a picture of how it turned out? What you describe is a tempting method...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by scooterdog' post='502474' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:27 AM
HotLap, can you post a picture of how it turned out? What you describe is a tempting method...
HotLap, I would love some detail on what exactly you did to remove it. This rig drives me crazy and everything I've read to remove it was way too involved. If this is indeed a 5 min project I'm in!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by scooterdog' post='502474' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:27 AM

Yes, I can and will try and get to it tonight!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!-5200___copies_001.jpg
All, this is the phone/coin tray removed from the car. The bottom piece (that is hinged and stays in after you remove the 4 torx screws) is on the right. The piece that lifts out after screw removal is on the left and the screw locations are marked with the white arrows.

Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!-5200___copies_004.jpg
This is the bottom of the phone tray after you have removed the 4 torx (size T10) screws. Notice the left (upper) side simply pries out with a flat-head screwdriver; however, the right (lower) side is the pain...it is screwed in from the back side and there is no way to access that screw short of removing the console. I decided I was not going to be re-installing this piece so I could cut the screw. I pried out the side enough that I could get my 18V skill saw blade in between the two sides and cut the screw. Came right out with no damage at all.

Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!-5200___copies_005.jpg
This is the lower half of the phone tray (close up). You can see how I had to damage the right side to cut the screw - but not an issue since it will not be re-installed anyway. Be careful not to damage the right side of the hinge piece that stays in the console...pry with a screwdriver a bit to introduce some play between the two sides.

Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!-5200___copies_003.jpg
This is the "after" pic...fully usable console space w/o that silly phone/coin holder in the way!!

Quick Reply: Help getting the top tray out of the center console!!